Finding out more about how teeth whitening trays work is a great idea when trying to decide which whitening option is going to be the ideal choice. Many people are choosing to whiten their teeth because white teeth make for a pleasant-looking smile. Those who take the time to improve the way they look when…
Pros and Cons of All-On-4® Dental Implants
Anyone who has lost most of their natural teeth can benefit from an All-on-4® dental implant. These oral prosthetics provide a permanent solution that gives patients a healthy-looking smile, restores the function of all of their lost teeth and helps to maintain healthy jawbone tissue.
What to expect when getting an All-on-4® dental implant
All-on-4 dental implants work by combining implants with artificial teeth to provide a permanent solution for missing teeth. Treatment typically starts with the patient sitting down with a dentist to discuss their needs.
The dentist performs a physical examination, goes over the patient's medical history and diagnostic tests like x-rays might be performed. Once the patient has been cleared for the procedure, a date is set for the surgical installation of the implants.
On the day of the procedure, four implants are inserted into each half of the patient's jaw being worked on. Prosthetic teeth are then permanently attached to the implants, restoring the patient's smile.
Pros and cons of getting an All-on-4® dental implant
All-on-4 dental implants have gained lots of popularity in recent years due to advantages like:
- The patient gets a new smile after a single visit: During the installation of All-on-4 implants, the implants and prosthetic teeth are installed during the same visit. This means a patient that walked into the clinic missing most of their teeth walks out with a full set of teeth
- It saves the patient money: The price of replacing a full set of missing teeth with implants rules out that option for most people. All-on-4 allows those who would typically have been forced to settle for dentures to get a permanent, more comfortable solution to their missing teeth problem
- Treatment takes only one appointment: This means the patient has to spend less time going back and forth from the clinic and having to take time off work or school
- Implants are inserted deep in the jaw: This provides a more stable base for the prosthetic teeth and reduces the chance of implant failure
- Bone grafts are rarely needed: The implants are placed into the best locations in the patient's jaw, so there is usually no need for bone grafts. Some people who are ineligible for implants might be cleared for All-on-4 without having to get grafts
The disadvantages that come with All-on-4 implants include:
- The patient will need to stick to a liquid diet for the first two weeks after surgery. They can move on to semi-solid foods after the first two weeks, but they will need to stick to that for up to six months while the implant fuses with bone tissue
- All-on-4 implants cannot be placed in the back of the mouth due to the great bite forces
- The prosthetic needs to be inserted deep to ensure a stable base
The pros outweigh the cons
All-on-4 dental implants are one of the best options available to you if you are missing most of your natural teeth. Stop by our Swampscott office to learn more about the procedure and to get started with treatment.
Here's how you reach us…
Check out what others are saying about our services on Yelp: Read our Yelp reviews.
Family dentists are a great source of information when it comes to how to properly take care of oral health. They are trained in general dentistry, which makes them experts at helping patients of all ages practice good oral hygiene. Choosing to have a family dentist oversee one’s oral health is something many families are deciding…
Cosmetic dentistry focuses on the form and function of teeth, despite the misconception that cosmetic procedures only address aesthetics. Cosmetic dentists are dental professionals who undergo general dentistry training and then further their education and training by learning more about cosmetic procedures. Many general and cosmetic dentists perform the same procedures, depending on the goal of…
Cosmetic dentistry is the specialty that focuses on improving the way that the teeth appear. Additionally, cosmetic dentists make an effort to improve overall function. There are many different cosmetic dentistry options for improving one’s teeth and gums, making it necessary to understand how each works. Ready to learn more?Understanding the different types of cosmetic…