Porcelain veneers are a good option if you want to reinvent your smile. You can cover up imperfections and finally have the smile you have always craved. Before getting veneers, there are some things you need to know, though.
1. They are not removableDental veneers are fixed in place and can only be removed by the dentist. These veneers typically last between 15-20 years, although it is possible for them to last longer.
2. It is possible to go too whitePeople often think that whiter is better with porcelain veneers, but that is not always the case. It is important to choose a color of white that looks natural.
How to pick the whiteA soft natural white is a right choice for most people. While some people gravitate toward opaque white, that color does not look natural.
3. They can chip and crackVeneers are similar to teeth. They can chip and crack, so people need to be careful when wearing them. While they can stand up to normal wear and tear, some considerations need to be taken.
What to ConsiderTeeth grinding and biting down on hard objects can crack veneers. People need to address any teeth grinding issues prior to getting veneers and avoid eating hard foods.
4. Veneers are not required for the entire mouthWhile some people get veneers on all their teeth, that is not always necessary. In some cases, veneers are only needed for one or two teeth.
5. Veneers fix lots of issuesPeople choose veneers due to a variety of cosmetic issues. Veneers can fix:
- Discolored teeth
- Worn down teeth
6. Temporary veneers are availableThose who do not want to wait for their veneers to come in might be able to secure temporary veneers. These veneers are used for one to two weeks.
7. Porcelain is good at resisting stainsMany people choose porcelain over resin veneers because they are better at resisting stains. Proper oral hygiene is still necessary, but these veneers are less likely to become discolored.
8. Veneers are not for everyoneVeneers are very popular right now, but that does not mean everyone can get them. Dentists examine patients before approving them for veneers.
Reasons people cannot get veneersOral infections and tooth decay can prevent people from getting veneers. Those who cannot get veneers might be good candidates for another cosmetic option.
9. People keep their natural teethVeneers are not the same as implants. The natural tooth acts as a base, and the veneer is attached to it. The veneer is very thin, so it does not bulge out.
10. It is a cosmetic procedureDental veneers are a cosmetic procedure, so they are not covered by most insurance plans. Still, people are encouraged to check with their company to see if this procedure is covered.
Are veneers the right choice?Now that you know what to expect with porcelain veneers, you can determine if they are the right choice for you. If they are, contact a dentist. Are you considering porcelain veneers in the Swampscott area? Get more information at https://whitingdentalarts.com.
Check out what others are saying about our services on Yelp: Read our Yelp reviews.